WHEN I FEEL DOWN
What works for me-a list to remind myself of the resources I have to draw on.
- •ExerciseIntense, sweat-producing exercise. 90% of the time I feel noticeably better--more upbeat and social.
- •BathsA good hot bath with bath salts works wonders.
- •Steam roomsFeels so purifying.
- •MedicationPrescription antidepressants can be your friend. They're not magic happy pills and you're not weak nor stupid nor deluded by Big Pharma if you use them.
- •Letting yourself off the hookDon't beat yourself up for feeling sad or not up to doing all the stuff you usually do.
- •AromatherapyNice smells just improve my mood like .05%. Every little bit helps.
- •Buying yourself nice little things.In my case this translates to things like soap and magazines. Perhaps flowers?
- •Being around people.Even just going to coffee shop to read or work.
- •Making yourself do something.This is hard when you're down and maybe not possible all the time if your depression is severe. But I feel a bit better when I make myself do the dishes or something like that. It takes me out of my head for a bit and allows me to say to myself, See? You can still do the dishes.
- •TherapyIf you can afford it or find a lower cost clinic in your area. At times I don't even think it's the therapist that matters-it's more just having a neutral party to talk with about whatever shit you want, without judgement or emotion. And no, seeing a therapist doesn't make you weak or "crazy" or mean that you've hit rock bottom.