Things consumed in the last 6 months or so that I think about all the time
- •"This is Emo" by Chuck Klosterman#1 favorite thing I've read recently. Life imitates art, art imitates life, art imitates art and how that impacts how we think about love. From his book Sex Drugs and Cocoa Puffs, but you can read online for free here http://bit.ly/1AosQNA
- •"The Mobility Myth" by James SurowieckiArticle printed in the New Yorker a couple months ago. Death of the American Dream, etc. http://nyr.kr/1Abhi1W
- •CatfishWatched this movie a couple weeks ago after seeing 4 hours of the MTV show and it made me really sad and I can't stop thinking about it.
- •Richard Yates by Tao LinHonest, beautiful. A relationship told through Gchat conversations. Finally read this and now feel like I understand @dana better.
- •The Failures of Integration by Sheryll CashinSegregation in the 21st century as a result of white flight, public education, zoning, etc.
- •White Teeth by Zadie SmithMulti-generational aughties novel about immigrants, you know the deal. Instantly became one of my favorite books.
- •WTF with Marc Maron - Louis CKWTF with Marc Maron was a staple of our road trip. This conversation is 2 hours long and incredibly tense, but also fascinating and very personal.
- •The Bret Easton Ellis Podcast - Joe SwanbergThe benefits of microbudget filmmaking and small stories as opposed to big ones.
- •"Sure Enough for the Two of Us" by Sharon Goott NissimA friend sent me this a couple weeks back. Very sincere, very optimistic love story. Outlook is really different from the outlook of the rest of this list (save Amira & Sam.) http://nyti.ms/1EI0Un8
- •Amira & SamMost "romantic" and "comedic" romantic comedy I've seen lately. The characters are funny, absurdly charming. Great performances by Martin Starr and Dinah Shihabi.