CASUAL RACISM: A CONVERSATION WITH MY BROTHER
I don't know what to offer here. This just happened, so now I'm just sitting in my chair, quietly brewing. My family has always been problematic when it comes to racist comments/etc., and I try to pushback whenever I can, but rn I'm ???
- •Context: We flipped over to the Olympics, and badminton is on. USA vs China
- •Brother: "Are these guys [the USA team] even Americans?"
- •Me: "…are you serious?"
- •Brother: "Look at their last names!!"
- •Me: "That's seriously not even relevant."
- •Brother: "They look like they're on the same team [as the Chinese team]."Note: one of them has darker/brown skin, and they are obviously not the same ethnicity
- •Me: "That guy is obviously not Chinese…"
- •Brother: "Well they're obviously not Americans."
- •Me: "OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE BECAUSE ALL SORTS OF PEOPLE LIVE IN AMERICA."Internally and externally 😡😡😡
- •That was the end of the conversation.
- •I honestly can't believe I just had to explain this? Or participate in this dialogue? Or witness this type of ignorance? FROM MY OLDER BROTHER?I can't believe we're related wtf
- •I'm done. I'd like to be excluded from this family narrative 🙃🙃🙃