BERTOLDO: A FAMOUS FAMILY STORY FROM MY CHILDHOOD
- •When I was very little, I used to have a thing for gardeners.
- •So it made sense that when my parents got me a goldfish, I named it Bertoldo, after our gardener.
- •One day, my mom found Bertoldo floating in his bowl, dead.
- •My parents had not yet taught me about the concept of death, so my mother was very worried about what to tell me.
- •She called my father at work, in a panic, and told him "Bertoldo is dead. I found him face down in the water."
- •My father assumed she meant that our gardener had died while tending to our property, and he ended up in a panic too.
- •It took them a while to get on the same page, and the story became one for the history books.
- •Epilogue: my parents secretly replaced my dead fish a couple times so they didn't have to teach me about death too early. After a while this got tiresome for them, so they tricked me into thinking it was my idea to release my latest goldfish into the pond at the local park.