MEMORIES OF MY EARLIEST FRIENDS
- •ParisWe went to a child yoga class together. Afterwards we would go to TCBY and mix our frozen yogurt until it became soupy.
- •KateHer grandparents' home burned down in the Malibu fires in 1993. She picked up ashes by the chainlink fence on the side of the playground and said, "This is my grandma's house."
- •NicoleWe played charades and I had to act like a constipated gorilla. I didn't know what "constipated" meant, but I was too embarrassed to admit it.
- •LauraShe taught me how to wrap my wet hair in a towel turban. Her babysitter babysat for me and my brother once, and she reenacted a Will Ferrell and Cheri Oteri SNL sketch before I even knew what SNL was. It was the funniest thing I had ever seen.
- •RoyceOne day I was standing third in line as we waited to be let in to our classroom, and he said "first is worst, second is best, third is the one with the golden dress." That made me feel so very special. Later, my parents brought me to decorate cupcakes at his house so I would catch his chickenpox.
- •MeaghinWe would shout "Care Bear Stare!" from the top of the jungle gym in preschool. Her mom made my favorite tomato sauce. I won a Peter Rabbit stuffed animal at an Easter egg hunt at her house. Her parents took her to see Silence of the Lambs when she was four years old.
- •NatashaI lost my favorite toy, a red-haired troll in a Dodgers shirt, on the playground. She called my house to tell me she had found it in the sandbox.
- •ArielI went to see her in the Nutcracker and she came out from underneath a giant woman's skirt. She came on a family vacation with me and in the car we couldn't stop laughing at the way my dad said "pianist."
- •AmyMy cousin. We went to summer day camp on the beach, and would try to hold hands as we rode higher and higher on the swings.