DETROIT (OR, IT'S NICE TO LEARN NEW THINGS AS AN ADULT)
Could've also called this list A Tale of Two Cities
- •So I teach at a Waldorf school.Slightly relevant.
- •One day I was on a break, sitting in the office with my friend Alice, our enrollment administrator.
- •While I was scrolling through Facebook on my phone, I happened upon a particularly bucolic post from another Waldorf school, Detroit Waldorf School
- •As I kept scrolling, I said absentmindedly to Alice, "Isn't it so weird how the two Detroits turned out so differently?"
- •"What do you mean?"
- •"Like, Detroit with the Waldorf school is pretty nice and safe seeming, but then there's like, Detroit, motor city. The two Detroits are just so different."
- •"When you say 'the two Detroits,' do you mean figuratively?
- •"Uh, no - there's Detroit in Michigan with the Waldorf school - you know, where Sufjan went, and then there's Detroit, like motor city."I went to college! Aced geography, even!
- •"Okay, so you feel like there are two LITERAL Detroits - one in Michigan, and a totally different one in another state. Where's the other one, Sarah?"First moment of self-doubt.
- •"Illinois maybe? Near Chicago?"As soon as I say this I know I am so wrong. There is only one Detroit.
- •We laughed until we cried, I acknowledged my geographic misconception gracefully, and mostly forgot about it UNTIL this morning...
- •Don't even know what to think RN.