When You're Depressed People Like to Give You a Lot of Advice
Conversely titled: Things I've been told that did more harm than good.
- •"Wear brighter colors, if you wear black all the time, you're not opening your self up to good feelings!"I was told this in 10th/11th grade while sitting on my couch trying to mind my own business by one of my moms good friends. Unsurprisingly, it didn't help and I hate that woman a lot.
- •"If you just... Think positively, you won't want to die. Push those negative thoughts out!"Here's the thing about this piece of "advice". Do neurotyprical people think that we like ~love~ depression??? Like don't you think if we could "push those negative thoughts out" we could have done it already?
- •"You just have to embrace happiness."An extension of number 2. Like ? Don't you think I've tried you piece of shit?
- •"You know, you have so many good things in your life, you have no reason to be "depressed."This isn't even advice, this is just something someone said to me unprovoked.
- •"Have you tried meditation? It really helps me when I'm sad!"Someone told me this when I wanted to get on antidepressants. 2 things about this. Being sad does not equal depressed. Also, no one asked. Also 2x no one fucking asked.
- •"You cutting yourself doesn't help anything."Also not advice. Another thing I was told while trying to mind my own business.
- •TL;DR - stop giving people advice they don't want/didn't ask for!!!