THINGS I GAVE MY DAD FOR CHRISTMAS THAT I ACTUALLY JUST WANTED FOR MYSELF
When I was about 10 or 11 years old I was struck by a flash of genius. If I really wanted something I could just give it to my dad for Christmas...and then keep it.
- 1.The last of the Mohicans on VHSThis is what started it all. By far my favorite movie ever is LOTM. For some reason I was allowed to watch even when I was 10. One day while shopping with dad Around Xmas, I saw it at the store and decide it should be his present. He bought it and wrapped it (he's super good a wrapping and even volunteers at Barnes and nobles during the holiday season). I basically just handed it to him Xmas morning.
- 2.Die hard 1 and 2A theme clearly has started here. The next few years I would continue to get him my favorite movies for Xmas, but to be fair I DID start paying for them. Although he continued to wrap. Again not sure why I was allowed to watch these movies so young. Especially since we weren't allowed to watch the Simpsons or married with children, whatever not complaining.
- 3.A unicycle.Age 15. Like everyone else who's normal I went through a pretty serious unicycling faze. After getting sick of borrowing my neighbors (who got me into it) that winter I knew exactly what to do. Get it for dad! That way I wouldn't waste my real presents on a unicycle that I might get bored of. He paid for half...of a bike...or a whole unicycle...he paid for his present again.
- 4.Pirates of the Caribbean on dvdAge 17. After getting a job at blockbuster the movie theme was back on. Only this time My entire family got DVDs. To be fair I tried to get them each movies that they personally would like. Except my dad, I fucking loved pirates of the Caribbean. Although we did see it in theaters together so I played the sentimental card.
- 5.A really nice bocce set.At this point I was about 20 and the charm of the tradition was really wearing thin. I made an impulse buy at dicks sporting goods and convinced myself that dad loved bocce (he had played once ever before I got him the set). But now we have a great set that the family shares.
- 6.Bocce was the final strawMy older brother or 'the golden child' as I like to call him has a terrible habit of calling me out on all of my shit. According to him 20 years old was to old to 'keep being an asshole' and I had to start getting real gifts. I am now 8 years clean of giving my dad shit that I want. Every year is a struggle, but I find away to get dad something he actually wants.
- 7.For the record.I promise I wasn't a spoiled dick growing up I just had really cool parents.