A YEAR OF AUDIOBOOKS WITH MY DAD 🤓📚👨👧🎧📱
My dad has Retinitis Pigmentosa and is legally blind. Just over a year ago I got us an Audible subscription. Now we nerd out about books together. It's really special. ❤
- •Kobra by Deon Meyer (crime thriller) ⭐⭐⭐Deon Meyer is South Africa's most popular crime-thriller writer. He does a real number on characterisation, which makes his work really impressive. We listen to the original Afrikaans version, and the narrator is really good with all the accents.
- •The Girl With All The Gifts by M.R. Carey (paranormal/apocalyptic) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐My dad loved this!! I was worried that he wouldn't like the unrealistic element but he devoured it. And almost puked a few times. He's a big softie 😜
- •Salt to the Sea by Ruta Sepetys (historical, YA) ⭐⭐⭐⭐This was my dad's first YA. He loves historical fiction. We really bonded over our mutual dislike of one of the characters. My mom, who will only read printed books, read the print version and really liked it too.
- •Die Swerfjare van Poppie Nongena by Elsa Joubert (non-fiction, South Africa) ⭐⭐⭐This was a difficult read, especially as it surrounds Apartheid and the Group Areas Act. It's a very sad and cruel story. Really heavy reading. It did start a lot of important conversations though. (It has been translated to many languages, including English, but the audio is only in Afrikaans.)
- •Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (historical fiction) ⭐⭐⭐⭐This was a part of history we knew nothing about so it was great. My dad was an orphan so in many ways the book was also cathartic for him. We bought my mom a copy and she loved it too.
- •Mornings in Jenin by Susan Abulhawa (historical fiction, Palestine) ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐Another part of history and politics we knew little about. My dad and I had a lot of fights about Israel. This book kind of put us on the same page.
- •The Fireman by Joe Hill (thriller, apocalyptic) ⭐⭐This was our first real dud. We were both SO disappointed by this book. Hated the writing and the narrator.
- •Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly (historical fiction, WW2) ⭐⭐⭐⭐Quite heavy. I was loathe to read ANOTHER WW2 book but this was quite unique, and we enjoyed it.
- •And The Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini (historical fiction) ⭐⭐⭐⭐My dad loves Hosseini so this was his pick. I ended up loving it! THOUGHTS ON "AND THE MOUNTAINS ECHOED" BY KHALED HOSSEINI
- •The Eaves of Heaven: A Life in Three Wars by Andrew X. Pham (non-fiction, Vietnam) ⭐⭐⭐This was such a slow, long read!! But we both learned a lot. And had a little cry.
- •The Sun Is Also A Star bu Nicola Yoon (contemporary, YA) ⭐⭐⭐Definitely a wild card for my dad. Took him a while to get into it, but he declared: it's like a fairy tale set in the real world.
- •Ikarus by Deon Meyer (crime thriller) ⭐⭐⭐⭐Full circle. Meyer is a bit formulaic, but my dad thoroughly enjoys it, and I like reading South African settings.