FIRST MAJOR NEWS STORY I REMEMBER LIVING THROUGH AS A CHILD
Inspired by @Peace_Out_List
- •27 April 1994: I was four years old and South Africa had her first free and fair democratic election after the abolishment of Apartheid.
- •Nelson Mandela became president.
- •Everyone was happy.(Everyone I knew, at least.)
- •I had no idea why, or who he was, but I watched the news with my parents every night and shouted NELSON MANDELA! every time a male figure came on screen.
- •My parents have a tape recording of me talking about Nelson Mandela. I didn't even know what a president was, and it's pretty evident I had no idea what race was.
- •I made up an elaborate story about why he was a hero.
- •It was way off but I had the major point: he stopped bad people from hurting vulnerable people.
- •It would be at least another three years before I understood the magnificence of that time.
- •I never met him, but I do miss him.