GRANNY'S FACEBOOK ADVENTURES
NaLiWriMo day 9
- •My grandma was anti-FB for yearsIt was the usual, "Why do you want to put your whole life in a public space" and so on. Also the superior, "I don't need Facebook to know your birthdays!" Touche, Gram.
- •Grandma is stubbornAt 76, she seems to feel that she has paid her dues to society and that she now gets to be as stubborn as she wants to.
- •Grandma is kind of a tech wizard for her ageShe's a bright spark in general. She wanted to be a nurse after completing high school but was forbidden (1950s issues). So she worked in finances in the local hospital. She had to stay on top of tech. Adaptable.
- •So when she got her first smartphone, she did what we all do:Ignored the manual and figured it out herself. Then downloaded a million bajillion apps.
- •Imagine my surprise when I got a friend request from dear Gramma!No you freak, how dare you steal my granny's identity! I'm reporting you! Oh... Its really you, Gran? Oops...
- •She had set up her own Facebook.She had decided that Facebook was cool now.
- •Gran is an A-grade FB stalker.My daily notifications are something like GRAN LIKED YOUR PHOTO FROM 1991. I don't even know where she digs them up.
- •But I realised she doesn't really understand the concept of a timeline."Why does Jane send me these pictures? I don't want them on my profile!" I regularly have to explain that they are NOT on her profile, but on her newsfeed.
- •"Gran checked in to your hometown"This popped up on my newsfeed a while ago. What, are you in town Gran?! No, no... She just checked in because she could.
- •"Gran volunteered at Doctors Without Borders"No you didn't, Gran! "I know I know, but I like them, it makes me look fun..". Well, at least she's honest about her intentions.
- •"Gran reported your photo"Gran! What did you do that for? "I told you not to upload that photo of me, I don't like it."
- •But most recently she asked me to delete some of her friends...... Because they were sharing nasty pictures.
- •Gran had some SERIOUSLY weird "friends" on Facebook.Like... The kind of people who terrify even me.
- •"Gran, why did you accept these people if you didn't know them?""Well, they wouldn't let me see their information unless I accepted their requests!!"
- •I realised then: we never taught her the rules of social mediaEven her cell phone number was public on her profile, FFS.
- •I went on an intensive teach-gran-all-the-things spreeAnd from now on I'll be keeping a closer eye on her shenanigans.