MOSTLY COOL THINGS ABOUT MY MOM
It's her birthday, and I love her.
- 1.She put my dad through university 🎓My dad is legally blind and was an orphaned high school dropout. He finished high school while they were dating, and when they got married she supported him financially so that he could get his degree.
- 2.She is a Social Worker and earns next to nothingShe works for a non-profit organisation and earns peanuts. She could work privately and earn ten times as much, but she's not interested.
- 3.Her holiday job was nursing 💉While she was studying, she nursed for extra income for a month every summer. She was so good that the matron asked her if she wouldn't rather quit social work and join the nursing college. She considered it, but ultimately decided that social work was her calling. Her clients are so lucky to have her.
- 4.She's been chased by dogs and threatened with violence in her workAnd it terrifies us; but she just says, "So imagine how terrified the kids I work with must be?"
- 5.She spends her small income on her kidsGrowing up, she always used her bonus on buying each of us new Summer clothing. She hardly ever buys herself new clothes.
- 6.She can't open something neatlyMy mother has no patience for parcels or wrapping or packets. If she opens something - be it cereal or a gift- it will be torn to pieces.
- 7.She lives in chronic painAnd I wish I could help her.
- 8.She makes THE most amazing food 🌶🍠🧀🍐🍳🍲🍝🍪🍵Not necessarily healthy, but absolutely incredible. All our friends concur.
- 9.She played a huge role in teaching me to read at a young age 🤓And she introduced me to my homie, Roald Dahl.
- 10.She is a fierce lioness 🦁My mom is so gentle, but if you hurt her children, she will rip you to pieces.
- 11.Her bedtime reading is recipe booksI just think that's so funny.
- 12.She loves a full house 👨👩👧👦👩👩👧👦👨👨👧👦She loves it when the house is overflowing with family and friends. She's already told us that she expects three grandchildren from each of us - that's NINE grandkids!
- 13.She plays Candy Crush 🍬🍩🍭🍡🍧And she's at like, level eleventy-billion.
- 14.She thinks her home remedies are better than my medical knowledgeShe seriously doesn't give a damn that I studied for eons to call myself dr. When someone is ill, she'll give them a concoction. Even if I'M ill.
- 15.When I brought home a cum laude pass at the end of my first year at university, she said. "Well done. Next year, you should study less and have more fun."Mom had a fantastic time at university and wanted the same for me. She didn't want me to waste the best years at a desk, and I'm so glad she kept me balanced.
- 16.My gran insisted that she be born on this day 👶🏼It had to be the same day as gran's father's birthday (and her name is derived from his), because he died when Gran was just a little child. When it reached 11PM, my gran was like, "Fuck this, I'm pushing now" and Mom was born less than an hour before the 16th.