TELL ME ABOUT YOUR NAME
Inspired by @marceline et al
- •My name is not Megz, Megan, or any of its variations.
- •My name is the German diminutive of Mary.And I am very careful about it on the internet because as far as I know I'm the only doctor with this name. My surname is also pretty distinctive.
- •The diminutive suffix that forms part of my name is -chen. It is not pronounced CHEN! It's a German sound. And also kind of a Hebrew sound?I don't speak either of these. But my native language borrows a lot from other languages, German included.
- •My dad chose my name. We are of German ancestry and he's very into genealogy. I kind of like it too. We have a cool family history.My dad was an orphan so I think that genealogy has given him a sense of belonging.
- •Our female ancestor who arrived from Germany in Cape Town (1861) was named Maria Wilhelmina.My dad wisely guessed that I'd hate him for naming me this. Hence the diminutive.
- •I'm tiny so it's worked out well.
- •I had a German boyfriend once and when his mom heard my name she said "Awwwww!" And squeezed my cheeks.
- •It's one of those names though... never on any souvenirs.
- •Nobody who hears it can spell it, and nobody who can spell it knows how to pronounce it.
- •I used to write it on my hand so I could remember how to spell it. My own name! I eventually memorised it when I was six.
- •Once at a school prize giving I corrected the headmaster on stage, in front of about 400 people.They laughed. I was ten.
- •I've had too many nicknames to count. And loads of accidental variations of my name. And people who tried to convince me that I'm saying my own name incorrectly.
- •I chose Megz as my moniker when I started high school. It was an English school and I just knew nobody would be able to say my name.I also desperately wanted to recreate myself and the name definitely helped.
- •Anyway, I love my name. And I love that people who care try their damndest to say it correctly, and they won't joke or be ridiculous about it.
- •I don't have a middle name. My first name is a mouthful as it is.