THE MEDICINE OF MOM 🚺🚼
My mom doesn't care that about the piece of paper that says I'm a doctor; she knows best. And what's evidence-based medicine? She is very persistent. (I love you, Mamma ❤️.)
- •"Here have some curry. It burns all the germs."The benefits of spicy foods are not related to it "killing the germs."
- •"Take a shot of ginger brandy, it will take away your hoarse voice."The worst is that two days later, my voice was back to normal. Probably just because it was time, but my mum was convinced it was the brandy.
- •"If you go to sleep with your hair wet, you will catch a cold."Disproven by science, but nobody cares when I tell them. 😕
- •Chickenpox partiesVaricella vaccines weren't readily available here when we were little, and my mom heard that it's worse if you get chickenpox as an adult. So she took us to a playdate with kids who had chickenpox so we could get a mild case. Luckily it was only mild. 🙈
- •Ice cold water is bad for you because it gives your body a fright.When I went to China for the first time and realised much of China believes something similar, I wondered where my mom got the idea (I don't think she knows anyone from China).
- •Coffee relieves headaches.It causes mine.
- •Tissue-oil for healthy skin.I joke about this because there isn't strong evidence for it, but she does have fantastic skin. Anecdote, I guess.
- •Remedy for nausea and vomiting: grate an apple. Let it stand for a few minutes until it browns a tiny but. Eat up.Her argument is the apple soaks up toxins in your gut. I don't know why it has to be grated. Maybe to increase surface area? If she hears I have an upset stomach she won't rest until I've had a grated apple.
- •To feel better during a bout of cold/flu: hot water with freshly squeezed lemon juice and honey.Placebo effect is real. I grew up with this and even though I know there is no solid scientific base for it, I always drink it when sick. So comforting.
- •For a sore throat, gargle with lukewarm salt water.I haven't actually researched this one to see if it's been disproven.
- •A teaspoon of apple cider vinegar every day to help with hay fever and other seasonal allergies.I think she got this idea from pinterest and my sister is her willing participant. They claim it works. I claim placebo.