WORKING THE FESTIVE SEASON IS LESS THAN IDEAL
It's my first year of permanent employment and so my first time working full-time over the holiday period. It's taking some getting used to.
- 1.When I wake up in the morning, everyone is still asleep.
- 2.I'm the one who goes to bed earlier than everyone else (even my parents!) because I've got work the next day.
- 3.Facebook shows me all the fun stuff everyone does during the day.
- 4.I don't feel festive and I want to feel festive.
- 5.Lots of drunk drivers on the road.Less than ideal situation to be driving home from work, for example.
- 6.I'm in a get-things-done mindset, but many of the services I need to sort out my own admin are on holiday.
- 7.Calls are out of this world busy. No sleep no rest no pee no sleep.Just: dealing with everyone who's been beaten or stabbed or MVA'd into a pulp.
- 8.Dealing with dumping syndromeFamilies who are tired of their chronically ill relatives find reason to drop them off at hospital. That's sad, and increases our work-load even more.
- 9.Full hospitalsWe run at 100% occupancy and have patients sleeping in casualty for days before a bed in the ward opens up for them.
- 10.Porters and cleaners and technicians are all on leaveAs if they aren't essential to the running of our hospital.
- 11.Drug shortagesBecause deliveries are apparently also not an essential service.
- 12.It's summer hereI'm missing out on some wonderful sunny days.