What I Hope I Remember From My 2016 Spiral 🌀
It started with my decision to dropout of college. (See: How They Reacted When I Told Them I'm Dropping Out of College) Then I pulled a muscle in my leg that led me to take my first break from running in three years. My hyper-regimented life just sort of fell out of order for a bit after that. When I look back on this time, I hope I remember that:
- •I got promoted.If you're promoted mid-spiral, how bad can things really be? This is a sentiment I repeated to myself many times throughout the spiral.
- •Ben & Jerry's Non-Dairy Ice Cream arrived at my local grocery store.I ate a pint of each flavor over the course of the spiral and thoroughly enjoyed every moment. I didn't count a single calorie and I barely cared that each pint was consumed well after midnight. #spirallife
- •Most nights I stayed up way too late.One night I didn't come home from hanging out with my friends until after 3AM. Another night I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 6AM before finally making my way to bed. Both nights were spectacular and they would have never happened without the spiral.
- •Most days I slept in way too late.I actually stretched before getting up. I cuddled with my boyfriend and my dogs. I processed the fact that I needed to get up before actually getting up... or not getting up.
- •I had a heart-to-heart with my mom.I just went for it.
- •I drank coffee like a normal person.In other words, I drank coffee every single day for a week and it was as addicting and magical as everyone says it is.
- •I went to a political rally.I was incredibly uncomfortable with the crowds and overt displays of personal political leanings but it was a good thing.
- •I got a sunburn.Except this time, I didn't beat myself up about it.
- •I didn't return my library books on time.See above.
- •I didn't say no when I was offered a margarita at game night.Pre-spiral, weeknight alcohol was unexplored territory.
- •I stayed in pajamas all day.Acceptable.
- •One night I slept in jeans.This is peak spiral behavior.
- •I ate festival food.Greasy, sugary goodness on a stick.
- •I listened to songs that made me cry on purpose.I needed it.
- •I lived.