MY FAVORITE BANDS I'VE SEEN IN MY HOMETOWN. BONUS: BANDS I WANT TO SEE IN MY HOMETOWN SOMEDAY
Thanks for this solid request, @pili_ervin 👍🏻. I've been to countless concerts in my life but these are the very top.
- •Paul McCartney.I've seen Paul 3 times. Each concert was amazing, but the third one was in my hometown of Buffalo, NY and just oh so magical. He played for nearly 3 hours and came out for 2 encores. As a Beatles obsessed maniac, this was the most special concert of my life. I wept from the first note he played.
- •The Avett Brothers.These guys are my favorite modern band. They really know how to craft beautiful, emotional music. I've seen them twice, each time in my hometown. Both shows were two totally different but equally beautiful experiences.
- •Paul Simon.This concert was one of the more unique shows I've seen. Paul played a special solo acoustic set at an open air amphitheater. The stage was set up to look like a living room. It was a very cozy setup. And his opening act? Poet Billy Collins. He read some of his most famous poems, and then interviewed Paul before his set. So cool.
- •Manchester Orchestra.I love these guys. They rock. Hard. I saw them twice in Pittsburgh before I got to see them at home. And man was it worth the wait. They hadn't played Buffalo in almost 7 years so they played an extra long/extra special set. Faces were melted.
- •Arkells.These guys are from a town in Canada that is just over the border from my hometown. So they have a special bond with our city. They play here a lot and love doing so. I've seen them 4 times. They put on one hell of a show, but always go extra hard for Buffalo. Their shows are just some of the most fun you'll ever have at a concert.
- •Punch Brothers.These classically trained bluegrass dudes play with such virtuosity and intensity. Their lead singer is probably the best mandolin player alive right now. But they push the boundaries of traditional bluegrass with intricate compositions and end up sounding more like an indie group. They blew my mind with their musicianship.
- •Bonus: bands I want to see in my hometown someday.There are so many. But the following are at the top of my wish list:
- •Florence + the Machine.
- •Bon Iver.Or anything Justin Vernon does.
- •Kendrick Lamar.
- •Courtney Barnett.
- •Father John Misty.He actually played Buffalo this past summer but I had to miss it. I was so pissed. Probably one of the biggest regrets of my life.