What I Do On Long Flights
As I am about to board a 13.5 hour one from Singapore to London (then on to Miami and then on to Birmingham🙌🏼)
- •Well, never ever sleepI have been flying since I was 6 weeks old. That may have been the last time I slept on a plane. I get 20 minute snatches and that is it. I bought a fancy neck pillow for this one in hopes that I will be able to sleep. I don't have a lot of hope.
- •Watch movies.This is obvious. I make a plan of attack list for which movies to watch
- •Write down my impressions of these moviesThey are usually incredibly emotional
- •On that note, cryThere has never been a long flight that I didn't cry on - seriously. Airplanes are inherently emotional spaces. The altitude and the leaving and the arriving and the no sleep and the strangers ?? Crying. All the crying.
- •Get up at least once an hourAisle seats are a MUST for me. I get up and go to the bathroom even if I don't have to or do yoga stretches by the bathrooms
- •Shoes off/fuzzy socksMy feet swell. I really need compression socks. Also it has a way of making it feel like a sleepover with several hundred strangers.
- •Wash my face several timesWith face wash. It keeps me human.
- •Ugh try to eat the gross plane foodBut I also bring snacks like almonds and pocky/pepero
- •Drink lots of waterEvery time I ask for water and every other time I ask for a Diet Coke to go with it - my aspartame addiction is real and I'm ok with it
- •JournalThis goes with the emotions
- •Read!Sadly I find it difficult to do this on long flights. It's my go-to for short ones but can be difficult on the long ones for some reason. I bought Me Before You for my kindle anyway - we will see.
- •Watch TV ShowsHow is this different from watching movies you ask? Well, I'll tell you, it is. Tv shows are shorter but also make time feel like it is passing faster. Magic.
- •Never talk to the people next to meSeriously I definitely put out a "leave me alone" vibe and I'm ok with that 💁🏼
- •Whisper "this is what hell is like" over and over under my breathI hate long plane rides so deeply but I love the results they yield so here I am 🤗
- •Lip sync passionately to some jams in the darkThe obvious pick for this now is the Hamilton soundtrack 👊🏼