Reasons Not to Quit Training for a Marathon
I have to remind myself of these every single day.
- 1.I will feel less guilty about all the shortbread cookies I've eaten over the holiday.
- 2.I will drink less alcohol because it's so very painful to run with a hangover and neighbors don't like it when you barf in their yard. And it freezes.
- 3.I can win all the FitBit challenges.
- 4.After 8 years and 13 half marathons, I REALLY want the big medal this time.
- 5.I will feel more legit when I'm wearing all the marathon shirts from the races I did NOT run.
- 6.After once completing an ENTIRE training program only to have the race cancelled the night before (for a forecasted ice storm that never materialized), it's simply a matter of principle that I run an actual marathon before I die.
- 7.Because I run in the morning, I am guaranteed to see at least 5 unique sunrises each and every week.
- 8.Life is short. Running makes it feel longer. Running long distances makes me feel immortal.After the soreness wears off.
- 9.I am a better version of myself for challenging my perception of what is difficult...what takes too long...what is worth my energy...and what is possible.
- 10.I want to experience the feeling of having NOTHING LEFT. It's both terrifying and exhilarating. It's from these moments of emptiness that I am completely free to refill my tank with renewed life force.