I SAW THE MOST ASTONISHING THING YESTERDAY!
And spent an hour with the wonderful eighty-seven-year-old man who created it.
- •Tom Hendrix wanted to honor his great-great grandmother, a Yuchi Indian who was forced to walk the Trail of Tears to modern day Oklahoma.
- •But she was the only one of tens of thousands to escape and return to her Alabama home...to return to *any* home.She walked for FIVE YEARS.
- •Tom has spent thirty-five years building a wall of millions of pounds of Tennessee River rocks to honor her and her journey.It's enormous and beautiful and emotionally overwhelming. This is just a tiny piece of it.
- •He is one of the very favorite human beings I've met—charming and warm and brilliant and dedicated.And hard-working, obvs.
- •I wrote a blog post with pics if you want to know more:
- •Update: I found out recently this beautiful human being passed away in January. I loved Mr. Tom and enjoyed our visits. I hope he's resting in peace with his beloved grandmother and great-great grandmother. ❤️