REASONS DOLLY PARTON SHOULD BE OFFICIALLY PROCLAIMED A NATIONAL TREASURE
She was on Fallon last night and reminded me.
- •For much of my life I regarded her as a caricature, a bewigged and brainless buxom gimmick who giggled too much—country's Mae West.But no. I was so wrong.
- •Dolly Parton is not only a spectacularly talented songwriter, her voice is a crystal Tennessee mountain stream on an August day.Just in case you are the one person who doesn't know: she wrote the heart aching I Will Always Love You (and many more songs made famous by others). I love to hear her sing anything. And I should note I'm not generally a country music fan.
- •She should release an album of contemporary pop covers, produced by Pharrell.I shall award the Grammy right here, in advance.
- •She was unforgettable in Steel Magnolias.If you haven't seen Steel Magnolias, go do it and I'll meet you here in a couple of hours for you to gush about it.
- •She's Miley Cyrus's godmother.Not a job for a mere mortal.
- •Her commitment to literacy led her to create Dolly Parton's Imagination Library, which sends free, age-appropriate books to children each month through age five.
- •I love you, Dolly.You are a brilliant and enduring light in the world, a true star.