The craziest weather experience I have ever been a part of...
Finally, someone asks!
- •Several years ago I was sitting on the back porch of our country home in Alabama, enjoying a slight breeze and watching a light rain fall on the garden.
- •There's a huge sycamore tree about twenty feet from the (covered) porch. At this time, it had a lightning rod planted along its length.My husband thought this was a good idea.
- •In the space of about one millisecond, my eyes could see nothing but bright red-orange. My first thought was that an atomic bomb had been dropped in the back yard.Yeah, that's ridiculous. First thoughts can be a bit off in the grip of stunned shock.
- •I felt weirdly tingly and I couldn't hear. I stumbled into the house to find my husband.Lightning rod guy.
- •Turns out, lightning had struck the rod, and a branch/ribbon/streak/whatever you want to call it had traveled directly in front of me to also strike a metal pole on the far left of the porch...
- •...which then continued into the basement level under the porch and traveled through steel in the concrete to...
- •...explode through the opposite end of the porch floor, shattering concrete and glass from a nearby window all over the ground.
- •There was no warning whatsoever.
- •The lightning rod is long gone.I kept lightning rod guy.
- •I stay in when it's raining now. I'm not about that life.