A few of my favourite things
To paraphrase the wonderful Julie Andrews - when the boss barks, when the words sting, when I'm feeling poo, I simply remember my favourite things and then I don't feel so sad. (These are in no particular order.)
- •Musical classicsHow to make a movie more cheery? Add a song or two.
- •Flowers in full bloomFlowers just make everything look prettier.
- •The sound of a child laughingIs there anything more pure and innocent in this world? (Unless the laughter is maniacal, in which case the child might be evil. An evil child laughing not one of my favourite things.)
- •The smell of the butchers shopWeird I know, but I'm a carnivore. I love meat.
- •Italian foodLove it. Love it all. Where would I be without pizza, pasta, olive oil, focaccia etc.? (Probably in a much smaller sized dress.)
- •My bestie and me singing at the top of our lungs to our favourite song... forgetting the words and just not caringWatch out for the air grabs.
- •My nephewsThe rest of my family and friends too, of course, but particularly those two boys who I love more than anything in this world.
- •Curling up in front of the fire with a glass of red wine, the Christmas decorations all around, snow beating at the window with Christmas songs on in the backgroundOkay, so just Christmas. I friggin' love Christmas.
- •Getting lost in a good bookWhen you're oblivious to the world around you and nothing matters but the next chapter.
- •RainbowsThe most beautiful thing nature has to offer I think - you can't help but smile when you see those colours in the sky.
- •The kindness of strangersWhat a difference it makes to your day when a stranger helps you out and your faith in humanity is restored (or reinforced, depending on your viewpoint).
- •Being told "I love you"Whether it's from a boyfriend, family member or friend, it's just nice to hear that you're loved.
- •The smell of parma violetsYou know, those classic purple sweets from times gone by. Incidentally, the aftershave Fahrenheit smells like parma violets.
- •CheeseWhether it's a cheese board, macaroni cheese, cheesecake or just plain cheese, I can't get enough.
- •Clean teethDon't you just love walking out of the dental hygienist's office with squeaky clean teech and a minty taste in your mouth?!
- •Glasgow, ScotlandAs much as I love seeing other parts of the world, my home town of Glasgow really is where the heart is.