I am hopeful (election edition)
I must believe that people are fundamentally good
- •I am a librarian at a middle school and I talk to my students a lot about current eventsBecause I want them to feel like their opinions are valuable and because I am curious to know what they think
- •The vast majority of my students are worried about Trump winning the electionMany of them are the children of immigrants or are immigrants themselves. They see Trump as someone who questions and threatens their very existence. They fear for their families, neighbors, and friends
- •They ask me who I am voting forAnd I tell them. I tell them because I want to be honest with them. I tell them because I know what it's like to have an adult tell you "to wait until you're old enough to vote"
- •In San Francisco there is a proposition that wants to give 16 and 17 year olds the right to vote in local electionsMy students ask why that isn't already a law everywhere. I cannot give them a good answer
- •We must not disenfranchise our youthWe must empower them and arm them with the tools needed to make an informed decision
- •I am hopeful that we will all make the right decisionBecause our children are watching