IN TV SHOWS/MOVIES
- •When a character is interacting with another character, and that second character leaves.
- •And so the first character goes into a different room or closes a door.
- •And then someone makes a noise in an adjoining room or knocks on the just-closed door.
- •And the character assumes it's the person he or she had just been interacting with.
- •The character may even resume the conversation that he or she had been having, before hearing the voice or seeing the face of the person they think has come back.
- •If the scene is worth showing, it's not the familiar person. It's a function of the plot.
- •(I'm watching the first season of Jessica Jones.)