We did inventory this week, which means we counted all the merchandise in the store. Today, a bunch of people from an outside company came in to count everything again and to make sure that the numbers all matched. These people are usually a little offbeat.
- •When I first arrived at the store and walked by my manager, she stage-whispered, "ELIZABETH! ELIZABETH! IT'S LIKE I TOLD YOU: THERE'S ALWAYS ONE."
- •I stopped and Gena pointed to a woman who was standing *an arm's length from both of us*.
- •(I had no idea what Gena was talking about, to be clear.)
- •I kept moving. Gena caught up with me in the stockroom.
- •"I had to come back here and pray that the Lord would put hands on her so that she would figure out how to do her job."
- •I spent the next few hours counting clothing on the racks (third time these garments were counted, if anyone's keeping tabs) and tucking in the price tags.
- •About halfway through the store, I started tucking the tags first and then counting the garments.
- •I announced this to my manager she walked by.
- •Without breaking stride, she said, gum cracking, "Yeah, yeah, I get it. Gotta 'keep it interesting.'"
- •And those were the two best things that happened at work today.