Best Places to Go in LA for a Sophisticated First Timer
- •A beach that is not Santa Monica or VeniceSanta Monica has the pier, Venice has the history and quirkiness; both good choices. But for these purposes I recommend a beach in Malibu such as Zuma or El Matador or La Piedra.
- •SugarfishA popular sushi spot with an extremely good and affordable prix fixe at several LA locations.
- •Hike in the hillsGriffith Park if you're from out of town (avoid the park itself and drive straight up to the hike by the Observatory)
- •Los Feliz / Sunset Junction in SilverlakeThese are two walkable east side neighborhoods with more style and individuality to their shops and street life than the neighborhoods more famous among visitors.
- •Grand Central MarketFood market downtown. Recently renovated. Very good energy and food. Maybe combine it with another downtown activity. Such as...
- •The Last BookstoreA gem of a place in downtown LA. An incredible environment in a former bank building, stuffed with unique discoveries.