Favorite Book Stores
All unhappy book stores are alike, but every great one inspires the same feeling in a different fashion: something intangible about the display choices & atmosphere inspires you intangibly. (No order)
- •Book SoupA beautiful, bright environment and puzzlingly compact, cozy store that somehow always has everything you're looking for while still allowing room for discoveries.
- •Magers & QuinnA highlight of my book tour in early 2014. At once huge and cozy, with an extremely intelligent and kind staff and especially great children's section that inspired me a lot. If I moved to Minneapolis this would be the first positive thing that would come to mind.
- •Powell'sFamous for a reason as the world's largest independent book store (or something). In a great part of Portland. The "Small Press" section is my favorite place to discover not just new writers but new visual and physical experiments in book making.
- •Harvard Book StoreMy favorite of many great stores in the Boston-Cambridge area. Especially great displays of non-fiction, but good for everything.
- •Shakespeare and CompanyI'm sorry, I should be over it, but there is just something a little contagiously romantic about this almost-original location of the legendary English language book store in Paris. They let me do a reading of my short stories there in summer of '13 and it was a really special memory.
- •Skylight BooksTwo locations next to each other. One for traditional books, one for visual and design. Fun fact: co-owners include Jeffrey Tambor and Tony Danza. In a great neighborhood too.
- •The Last BookstoreAn incredible location for exploration in an old bank building in downtown Los Angeles. Not the place to look for something in particular, but a place to discover something you never imagined existed.
- •Book PeopleAn enormous island of books in the middle of a great part of Austin, Texas. Several floors, great staff, all the biggest authors come through.
- •Vroman'sBest children's book section in America. (Fun fact: I am America's best selling children's book author)