Songs I Have Been Obsessed With, Chronologically
- •Pete Seeger, "Abiyoyo" (1984)I didn't know what this was until I looked it up moments ago. When I was very young I had a record player in my room and my parents put me to sleep with the same side of the same record every night.
- •Madonna, "Like a Prayer" (1989)I've said it before and I'll say it again: anyone who can make a music video of herself singing in a field of burning crosses - and get it played in its entirety on network television during a Pepsi-sponsored Super Bowl ad in the 1980s - deserves a hell of a lot of credit. But let's not let this record-setting level of distraction distract us: this is a great song.
- •Paula Abdul, "Straight Up" (1990)Great video. Great song.
- •Notorious B.I.G., "Hypnotize" (1997)I had the cassette single of this song, and played it continuously on a two-hour drive to and from New Hampshire, wearing it out.
- •Handsome Boy Modeling School, "The Truth" (2000)The sample makes the song.
- •Soko, "I'll Kill Her" (2007)The one-take YouTube video is one of the most phenomenal feats of artistry on the internet I've ever seen.
- •Azaelia Banks, "212" (2011)Never been more obsessed with a song. Also a great video.
- •Kreayshawn, "Gucci Gucci" (2012)This is definitely a good song, but my obsession with it may have been more right-place-right-time. I was in the mood for something spooky and aggressive that winter.
- •Kitty Pryde feat. Riff Raff, "Orion's Belt" (2013)Great, great song. Led to online friendships with both of them as well as the talented beat maker, Beautiful Lou.