Things That Everyone Bashes That I Will Defend Till I Die
- •HumidityScent carries memory. Moisture carries scent. HUMIDITY CARRIES MEMORIES.
- •LAX.Color scheme: bright blue. Ceilings: high. Light: bright. Trams and buses: NONE. Starbucks: in all but two terminals. Is it as cute as Burbank? No, but this is a major national airport. I love it. Stop complaining.
- •Los AngelesI could go on and on and on and someday I will. But for now: this is America's most subtle city that is constantly mistaken for America's most unsubtle city. "I'm only here for work." Oh- you mean the work of making your wildest dreams come true? And the city gets no credit for that? That doesn't count?
- •Rollerblading.Too fun? Too healthy? Too accessible? Got it. Makes a lot of sense. Real smart, let's demonize it. Side note with two more counterarguments: the rap on rollerblading was that it was "gay." 1: Gays have the best taste. 2: How did actually being gay become destigmatized in the past twenty years, but not the "gay" activity of rollerblading?
- •Hipster cultureHere is a controversial position: hipster culture is not perfect but it is, by and large, a positive thing. Its core values: authenticity, great natural food, design, music, discovering treasures of the past, obsessions with coffee and bourbon. We could do far worse.