Non-pharmaceutical Sleeping Prescriptions for Stressed Out Insomniacs
These worked for me when I started waking up with anxiety attacks a few years ago, maybe they'll work for you.
- •Pick something you love and do the ABC's with it.Sci-Fi authors, grunge band song titles, characters from Shakespearian plays, whatever works. For me it's authors: A for Atwood, B for Byatt, etc.
- •Have a dram of whisky.Not more than one glass, otherwise it has the opposite effect. (Does this break the non-pharmaceutical rule? I vote no.)
- •Replay your favorite TV episodes in your head with yourself as an additional main character.For me it's Firefly. Kaylee and I are BFFs in my version.
- •Have sexI don't know how to put this delicately... Orgasms make you sleepy. If you don't have an S.O. who's game, there are single-player alternatives.
- •Get up and read.If it's just not happening, at least do something to get you out of the endless loop of anxiety in your head. TV is a stimulant, but reading may calm your restless thoughts, and for many people it does make them sleepy.
- •Go outsideThis is obviously not an immediate solution, I don't recommend walking the streets in the middle of the night; but if the above don't work, go outside the next day and wear yourself out with physical activity.
- •Go see a doctor.If it goes on too long, please go see a doctor. Stress is very bad for you, lack of sleep is worse. They can lead to depression and all sorts of scary things. Be kind to yourself and get some help.