WHY BASEBALL IS AN APT METAPHOR FOR LIFE
I'm no Roger Angell, waxing decorously in the New Yorker. But the game offers valuable lessons.
- •To succeed, you must embrace failure. The best hitters succeed roughly 40% of the time, if you include walks.
- •Some days, the other team is much better than you are.
- •It's zero-sum: there's always a winner and a loser. No ties, thank you.
- •Great teams, on paper, don't always produce great results.
- •Chemistry - let's define it as how people get along - can influence success.
- •Seasons are long. So are years. Not every day is great, but some usually are.
- •The best teams still lose 40% of the time.
- •Strategy matters. It can lead to success or failure.
- •Effort, will and the ability to adjust separate the good from the mediocre.