7 Reasons Why Therapy is Rad
- •You needn't worry that you're talking about yourself too much.Oh, the amount of time I've spent in self-absorption worrying that I'm self-absorbed.
- •Your diarrhea of the mouth is a good thing.Though my therapist is good at interrupting when, amid my rambling, I slip in something like "oh, and also I'm not even sure that love is a real thing?"
- •You get help making important decisions.If you're beset by (with?) self-doubt, you have a person who (a) has deep insight into what makes you tick, and (b) has a degree in improving the human condition. If you have self-doubt, that validation is priceless.
- •You can freely admit "I'm not sure what I should be doing with my hands right now."My therapist is used to people not knowing how to be.
- •If you're an atheist, it helps you calibrate your moral compass.I think of my therapist like a mash-up of the village priest, a Buddhist nun, and Joan Didion.
- •It's the only time I practically welcome an anxiety attack, because, hey, it's data.Okay, so anxiety attacks always suck, but at least I'm in a safe space and I can share exactly what's going on.
- •Your load feels lighter, even if it's just for a little while.Oh, that relief of unshouldering the mental and emotional burdens you've accrued throughout the week.