The Orange by Wendy Cope
One of my favorite poems.
- •At lunchtime I bought a huge orange—
- •The sight of it made us all laugh.
- •I peeled it and shared it with Robert and Dave—
- •They got quarters and I got a half.
- •And that orange, it made me so happy,
- •As ordinary things often do
- •Just lately. The shopping. A walk in the park.
- •This is peace and contentment. It's new.
- •The rest of the day was quite easy.
- •I did all the jobs on my list
- •And enjoyed them and had some time over.
- •I love you. I'm glad I exist.