FIVE FAVORITE KUROSAWA FILMS
In honor of the movie god's birthday these are five of my favorite films of his
- •Shichinin no Samurai (Seven Samurai, 1954)Perennial candidate for the greatest film of all time, nbd
- •Akahige (Red Beard, 1965)In a career built on statements on humanity, this is probably Kurosawa's grandest but yet most intimate reflection
- •Tengoku to jigoku (High and Low, 1963)A nail-biter of a thriller that is also a testament to the power of cinema. The film's story partially helped Japan reexamine its lax kidnapping laws
- •Kumonosu-jo (Throne of Blood, 1957)The finest of all Shakespeare adaptations. Applies Macbeth to perfectly represent a real chaotic period of Japanese history. Soaked atmosphere and mood.
- •Rashomon (1953)Ingenious and inventive storytelling. It's influence spans across many filmmakers.