Outrageous things I have been asked or told during an interview
For the last 11 months I have been looking for a long term job. Here are some of the things that I have been asked or told, some are verbatim others are close. Note: I'm in my 50s, college educated, and was at my last place of employment for 15 years.
- •"I'm looking for someone to mentor for the next 5 years to take over my job. You'll probably retire before me."Who is going to guarantee that they will stay in a place for 5 years?
- •"Don't you think at this point in your life you should be looking for something that pays more?"
- •"How many children do you have? Are they adults?"Followed by "You have grandchildren?"
- •"Who was president when you were born?"
- •"Even though you're the most qualified and seem like a nice guy I'd rather work with the other people that I interviewed."Because I want to work with someone younger.
- •"Do you have a problem working with minorities?" Followed by "Our stores are in high crime areas, does that bother you?"
- •"You're not a cultural fit."Huh?
- •"When I got laid off I had plenty of job offers and found a job right away. What's preventing you from doing the same?"I've heard this multiple times. In other words, what the heck is wrong with you?
- •"You could do my job. I don't need someone who could do my job."
- •"Do you really want to travel at this time in your life?"Travel is for young people.
- •"You were rejected because you made too much money in you last job."This has been told to me multiple times.
- •"I haven't even read your resume and I didn't know what position you applied for."
- •I will call you by (blank)I haven't come across ANYONE who called back when they said they would. I realize people are busy but...and when you try to follow up it takes numerous phone calls and emails and they still might not respond.
- •"Let's just get this over with."