WHAT I WANTED TO BE GROWING UP, CHRONOLOGICALLY
I never thought about my current profession (librarian), until I volunteered at a science museum in their library.
- •BallerinaI was pretty sure anyone in a tutu could make it as a ballerina. I was also 4.
- •ArtistThis was always pretty nebulous. What kind of artist? What type of art did I even like? I can't remember. I was in 2nd grade.
- •Basketball PlayerThe WNBA didn't exist yet, but after years of rec team ball and watching college women's teams, I just figured it was a thing I could do. This was junior high. (P.S. I wasn't that good, but I LOVED it.)
- •FBI Agent/Medical ExaminerDana Scully was the best and I wanted to be just like her. This is still true, but I've learned that I really dislike blood. Ick. High school me didn't know that yet.
- •AnimatorI am not very good at drawing, but I am impressionable and a documentary about Studio Ghibli got me excited. That was college. It didn't last long, but my affection for Ghibli films is unchanged.
- •Museum Tour GuideAre most of these people volunteers? In grad school, this sounded really great. I like talking and also learning stuff. I might not be bad at this.