I'M ON MY WAY TO BOOK RIOT LIVE AND HERE'S WHY YOU SHOULD COME TOO
If you're anywhere near NYC this weekend and you like books, you don't want to miss this! Day passes are available, too, so there's still plenty of time to hop on a train and join us on Sunday. (This post appeared in a slightly different form here: http://bookriot.com/2015/11/04/ten-reasons-totally-come-book-riot-live/)
- •One thousand book nerds!One thousand. People who love books as much as you do and are as excited as you are about spending time with one thousand book nerds. One thousand of them. How can that be anything other than glorious?
- •Meet other List Appers!
- •New York City 🍁Lots of you live there; lots of you want to go there. Perfect excuse! Think of the bookstores. The theatres. The museums. Central Park in the autumn.
- •Meet the @bookriot family IRL!If you’re like me, you’ve had their voices ringing in your ears for months, maybe even years. But rumour has it they’re also real people! I’m so excited to meet the People Behind the Podcasts and everyone who makes this great site and its community happen. And when I booked this weekend back in January, I had no idea I'd be going as a Book Riot contributor. I am so, so, so pleased and proud to be part of this book nerd community.
- •Totally rad authorsSpeaking of meeting people, there’s a fantastic and diverse line-up of authors, in all genres: Alexander Chee! Margaret Atwood! Angela Flournoy! Sarah MacLean! So many others. And no, I’m not going to apologise for my excessive use of exclamation marks. I’m excited!
- •Not The Usual PanelsI’ve been to writers’ conferences and book events. I’ve never had a chance to attend a panel on “From Farm to Table – How a Book Gets Made”. Or “The Many Faces of Fandom”. I’ve never been to a live recording of a bookish podcast. I’ve certainly never heard Margaret Atwood read fan fiction based on her own work. There’s discussion of how to turn of awareness for the need for diversity into action; of trigger warnings; of how to buy good books for kids. The list goes on.
- •Cocktails in the Rare Books Room at @strandbookstore 🍸📚If every word in that phrase doesn’t send excited shivers up your spine, I don’t know what to tell you. (You get a pass for “in” and “the”, I suppose, but only just.)
- •The Apparating LibraryBring a book on Saturday, pick up another book on Sunday. So much book swapping love. I can’t wait to see what I’m going to discover.
- •Bookish gamesLiterary Jeopardy! Bookish Pictionary! This hits all my nerd buttons. Maybe it will hit some of yours too?
- •Book-inspired 🎵The whole thing kicks off with an evening of new songs inspired by the works of Book Riot Live attendees, courtesy of the Bushwick Book Club. So much creativity coming together to celebrate books! Come and be part of the celebration!
- •Be part of history!Don’t you want to tell your grandchildren someday you were there? “Ah, yes, the Great First Book Riot Live of 2015…”