IDLE BOOK-RELATED WONDERINGS
A list in progress
- •Why do some authors cross out their name on the title page before they sign it?
- •What's the name of that rough, grainy texture that some mat covers have?
- •Why don't they have them in England?It can't be because English people don't like them. I'm English and I like them!
- •Or maybe they do have them in England and it's just been a really long time since I went into a bookshop there?
- •Why do I like deckled edges so much?Don't they just look messy and unfinished? Or is there a profound statement to be made here about my kinship with them given the state of my life? Aargh, existential black hole ahead...
- •And are they an American thing too?
- •What is the British word for "bookseller"?I'm forgetting how I used to speak.
- •Why is book publication on Tuesday in the U.S.?
- •Why is book publication on Thursday in the UK?
- •Are our book buying habits really that different?
- •What exactly IS the rule for what you do and don't capitalise in book titles?I've been doing it most on gut feeling and blue Word squiggles, but there must be a better way... Articles and preposition is my feeling for non-capitalisation, am I right?
- •Why do so few books come out in November and December?Is it because the best of the year lists come out so early?
- •Why do the "best of the year" lists come out in early November?
- •Which of these came first?