MY NEW YEAR'S READING RESOLUTIONS
- •Read as much as I can.That's usually somewhere around 50 books a year and that's the target I've set on Goodreads. But I would love it to be more, and if it's a bit less, that's okay too, as long as I've tried my best!
- •Read British books.Last year I read a big fat zero of them. I'm so ashamed of myself - I've unwittingly become very US-centric. There's a big wide world out there. And now that I'm staying in the US longer term, I need to be doubly careful about keeping my distinctive British voice. Reading UK books will help with this.
- •Keep up to date with the UK book scene.Watch this space for a project that may result...
- •Read more backlist.Aka books that came out before this year. I love new books and with my Book of the Month membership and being a @bookriot contributor I find out and get excited about new books all the time. But sometimes they're a bit overhyped. Sometimes it's nice to go back and read books that have stood the test of even a year or two.
- •Read in French.I'm half French but my French is rusty. Reading in French takes a bit more effort but it's important to keep that part of my brain ticking over. And French books can be very different to UK/US books too and that's refreshing.
- •Read one book in Spanish.I was fluent in Spanish once upon a time and I want to keep that up too.