THINGS I'VE READ TODAY
In the name of advancing my freelance journalism career, I subscribe to a ton of magazines. I don't have much time to read them, but today I was home sick in bed all day but thankfully not so sick I couldn't read. Here's what I read:
- •SWIMMING LESSONS by Claire FullerJust the first 36 pages. Not grabbing me as much as it should but that might just be because of my pathetic I'll state. Also, thank you Tin House for keeping the British spellings!
- •BLUEXIT: A MODEST PROPOSAL FOR SEPARATING BLUE STATES FROM RED (New Republic, seen on Facebook today)https://newrepublic.com/article/140948/bluexit-blue-states-exit-trump-red-america Long but worth the read — makes some interesting points
- •CLAIRE DANES ON HER LIFE-CHANGING ROLE IN HOMELAND (Marie Claire US, Feb 2017)http://www.marieclaire.com/celebrity/a24590/claire-danes-february-2017-cover/ Moderately interesting but I'd forgotten about the Billy Crudup thing and then felt disloyal to Mary Louise Parker
- •EAT THESE FOR A BETTER NIGHT'S SLEEP (Redbook Mag, Jan 2017)Walnuts: who knew?
- •THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR: THE PSYCHOLOGY OF CHRISTMAS (Marie Claire UK, Nov 2016)
- •THE RISE AND RISE OF THE SLOGAN T-SHIRT (Elle UK, Nov 2016)http://www.elleuk.com/fashion/trends/articles/a32415/heres-why-slogan-t-shirts-have-made-such-a-big-comeback/ FCUK FASHION! I'd forgotten about that/ didn't realise it wasn't still a thing
- •HOW NOT TO BE BORING (Elle UK, Nov 2016)http://www.elleuk.com/life-and-culture/culture/articles/a32840/lottes-lexicon/ (Not All that interesting, actually!)
- •LOVE IN TRANSLATION (Elle Uk, Nov 2016, couldn't find the link so here's a New Yorker one by the same person instead)http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/08/lauren-collins-learns-to-love-in-french — I definitely want to read her book about learning to speak French because of her French husband, though now I'm wondering if by reading the article I basically have.