WHAT'S THE LAST BAD HABIT YOU KICKED? (AND HOW?)
The first issue of my new O magazine came through and this was a question asked of readers, and it's good, so I'm stealing it.
- •Wasting time (and having my blood pressure spike) scrolling through social media endlessly at the beginning of the day.I switch my phone to airplane mode when I go to sleep and leave it that way for as long as I can feasibly manage — lunchtime if possible, though sometimes I need social media earlier for legitimate work purposes. When I do check it, I'm usually well into my day so although checking notifications still takes a chunk of time, I don't tend to scroll as much. Not that I don't waste time that way at other times, like late at night. Need to work on that. But it's def a healthier start to my day!
- •late night nacho fest10pm-2am... the nacho witching hour! first step was my microwave lighting on fire while making nachos. like any crafty addict, i started making toaster oven nachos, which were even more delicious. then I stepped on the scale & was like 😱😵😳 nope. officially kicked the habit while on vacation in November... one week nacho detox!Suggested by @victralala
- •Sleeping with a cough drop in mouth.This is a super weird one; I know. But it started about 2 years ago, when I had a bad sinus infection, and I couldn't kick it. Till October. When I had horrible food poisoning and couldn't keep anything down for 3 days. Even the cough drop was setting me off! So I finally kicked it. Started and ended w disease. 😷😝🙄Suggested by @jessicah
- •It's been a year, but I quit smoking.I was never a huge smoker .., maybe 4 max a day, but the day my niece was born, I decided to stop. I just didn't want to stink of cigarettes when I was holding her. I just stopped cold turkey. When I wanted one in the beginning, I just grabbed my iPad and played Candy Crush. Now I've kicked both habits😊Suggested by @cmschoder
- •Diet CokeFirst I gave up buying the cans and would only get it when out to eat (fountain is better anyway). Then I tried dropping that cold turkey a few times and even if I gave in and got one here or there, every time I took a sip it was less and less appealing. Now I'm not really even into the taste. Woo hoo!Suggested by @stephmaxw
- •Disorganization. Okay, I haven't kicked this throughout my entire life, but I'm working on it. I have at least organized my books for the first time in my life, using the Dewey Decimal System, and that wonderful feeling is helping me organize other areas of my life. Yay!Suggested by @pili_ervin
- •I stopped drinking Diet Pepsi by gradually reducing my intake, and I gave up sweets and salty snacks cold turkey 4 months ago.I have had a few sweets to be polite, such as when my granddaughter made gluten-free cupcakes because we were coming over, but my lapses have been few and far between.Suggested by @Heartsounds
- •Nail BitingI'm working on it. Combo of nasty tasting polish, an overly attentive and nagging boyfriend, and now a nice manicure since I have some nail to paint! Planning to keep up the manicure. Also recommend carrying a clipper and hand lotion at all times.Suggested by @ellenh