WHAT WE'RE READING THIS WEEK (25th Sept) AND WHAT WE THINK OF IT SO FAR
Post the title, author and cover of your current read, your thoughts so far, and, if you're feeling brave, a mark out of 10. Relist, tag your ListApp reader friends, and we'll do it again next week!
- •Stay With Me by Ayobami AdebayoThis book is really different to anything I've read this year and far outside my admittedly preferred genre of "rich people breaking each other's hearts because of unrequited love". But it's really good! It's about a woman's desperation to get pregnant in Nigeria and the desperate lengths she and her husband go to for a baby. It was mentioned at BookExpo as one of the books that people are most excited about this autumn and I can see why.
- •The Atomic Weight of Love by Elizabeth J. ChurchI just started it but so far it's good. I am reading this as part of my cognitive rehab. It's a very slow process but I do recall more of what I read by following it. At this rate I might finish in a year. So check back next September and I will give you my rating. 😜🙃Suggested by @Heartsounds
- •Kitty Genovese: A True Account of a Public Murder & its Private Consequences by Catherine PeloneroIn the early hours of a March morning in 1964, Kitty Genovese was brutally stabbed, raped and murdered in the respectable Queens neighborhood of Kew Gardens. Many of her neighbors heard her cries for help and almost none of them took action. This book is, so far, a surprisingly thoughtful look at our collective responsibility to one another as a society, the balance between our need for privacy and what we owe others. I'm enjoying it for the most part.Suggested by @readjulia
- •Being MortalIt's really interesting! I've thought a little bit about the elderly and dying but this is very informative.Suggested by @lexie_elyse
- •Forest Dark by Nicole KraussI feel #blessed being the first one to get this from the library a couple days ago. Only 12 pages in but loving it so far. My aim is to finish by Oct 3rd because I'm going to see her read from & speak about this book & I don't want any spoilers!Suggested by @sssssssss