WHAT WE'RE READING THIS WEEK (27th March) AND WHAT WE THINK OF IT SO FAR
Post the title, author and cover of your current read, your thoughts so far, and, if you're feeling brave, a mark out of 10. Relist, tag your ListApp reader friends, and we'll do it again next week!
- •The Hollywood DaughterI'm really enjoying this book, and I wish in some ways that I had more time to just curl up wiith it for a few hours at a time. But I'm travelling and spending time with good friends, snatching a few moments here and there for this. It's an easy, unpretentious read so even through tiredness or jetlag I can get through some pages. I'm two thirds into it, and really curious as to what happens next. Solid 8.2/10
- •The Fortune Hunter by Daisy GoodwinEnglish nobility love and scandal. A very quick read. Wasn't sure if I wanted the main characters to end up together or not. Glad I read it but it was far from phenomenal.Suggested by @amieshmamie
- •Evicted: Poverty and Profit In the American City by Matthew DesmondI'm slowly working my way through this one for my book club. It's totally heartbreaking and eye opening. The author, a Harvard sociologist, tells the story of eight families in the poorest neighborhoods in Milwaukee, WI and their landlords.Suggested by @sssssssss
- •The King Must Die by Mary RenaultJust got started. A retelling of the Theseus myth. I like myth and so I have high hopes.Suggested by @macnchz
- •Twenty-six Seconds by Alexandra Zapruder.About the infamous Kennedy assignation tape. I've heard about it all my life but never watched till now. The book was dry. I liked the autobiographical parts the best. 6/10
- •In Sunlight or in Shadow edited by Lawrence Block.Short stories inspired by the paintings of Edward Hopper. Very good. 9/10 http://www.artic.edu/aic/collections/artwork/111628
- •And Every Morning the Way Hone Gets Longer and Longer by Fredrick Backman.I have now read all his books. This is a very short novella. I read it in an hour. Very, very sad. 😭 10/10 His new book has been placed on my library hold list. Yes, I read 3 books this weekend. Well, actually finished one and started and finished two.
- •Something Rising- Haven KimmelI don't hate it so far but I'm only a chapter in. Haven Kimmel writes beautifully and makes you feel entwined in the story and characters so I think it will be a positive experience for me regardless.Suggested by @andlamb
- •Homegoing by Yaa GyusiGripping, heartbreaking, beautiful.Suggested by @StuckOnThe7