11 Things Calvin and Hobbes Said Better Than Anyone Else
Everyone's favorite duo debuted 30 years ago today! Here's a tribute from Edd McCracken.
- 1.On life's constant little limitations:Calvin: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.
- 2.On expectations:Calvin: Everybody seeks happiness! Not me, though! That's the difference between me and the rest of the world. Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!
- 3.On why we are scared of the dark:Calvin: I think night time is dark so you can imagine your fears with less distraction.
- 4.On the unspoken truth behind the education system:Calvin: As you can see, I have memorized this utterly useless piece of information long enough to pass a test question. I now intend to forget it forever. You've taught me nothing except how to cynically manipulate the system. Congratulations.
- 5.On the cruel reality of commercial art:Hobbes: Van Gogh would've sold more than one painting if he'd put tigers in them.
- 6.On the tragedy of hipsters:Calvin: The world bored you when you're cool.
- 7.On the falling of sparrows (or providence's lack of a timetable):Calvin: Life is full of surprises, but never when you need one.
- 8.On why winter is the cruelest of seasons:Calvin: Getting an inch of snow is like winning 10 cents in the lottery.
- 9.On playing Frankenstein with words:Calvin: Verbing weirds language.
- 10.On looking yourself in the mirror:Hobbes: So the secret to good self-esteem is to lower your expectations to the point where they're met?
- 11.On the truth:Calvin: It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy...Let's go exploring!