IMPORTANT THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN IMPROVISING
I'm talking dance improv not comedy improv but its arguably similar really
- •make games for yourselfif you make games for yourself and stick to them it looks like you know what you're doing.
- •don't be afraid to be literalsometimes we get stuck in the abstract and the most pedestrian movements can save us
- •yes andthis is stolen from improv comedy but it totally applies, you should try and say yes to what your partner is offering and then add to it
- •the importance of noyes and sometimes leads to no that's enough and that's just as advancing to the story
- •textures and feelingswe all know this but it's just nice to switch up fast and slow, sharp and smooth, big and small
- •hands hands handspeople forget to use their hands because they think its too conventional, just use them!
- •heads heads headsits easy to forget about your head and your face
- •comitselling it is essential, nothing worse than someone not giving their whole weight, or laughing really obviously if something slips
- •nothing is wrongit's true, you fell out of what was going to be a lift? too bad no you're on the floor, make it part of it