Best Vacations I've Been On
- •AlaskaI love almost everything about Alaska. We went for 2 weeks in September. Spent the first week on a small boat tour of the Inside Passage. So beautiful, so much kayaking. You could go places that the large cruise ships couldn't even approach. Second week was spent on Lake Susitna, in Fairbanks, and two nights at Denali National Park. We had a campsite at Wonder Lake (highly recommend). It was amazing. All of it.
- •HawaiiWe spent one week on the Big Island. We snorkeled a lot. Snorkeled with sea turtles, dolphins, and night snorkeled with manta rays and one monk seal. We hiked in Volcanoes National Park. Went back at night to see the lava burbling out of the earth. Spent second week on Kauai in a vacation rental. Hiked, went on a boat tour and snorkeled with sea turtles again. So beautiful, both places.
- •ScotlandWent there on our honeymoon 20 years ago. Bounced from B&B to B&B. Went to Islay, hiked, toured distilleries. Visited castles and burial cairns and so many ruins. Stumbled upon the highland games outside Oban. Lovely people, beautiful geography, abundant history.
- •IndiaMy son and I joined my husband at the tail end of a business trip. We had enough miles to fly free. I don't recommend taking a 7 year old to India, it's an overwhelming place, but we had a great time. If you don't like Indian food this would be a tough place to go. We went to Khandala, Pune, Kochi, Periyar Tiger Reserve (we saw lots of wildlife, but no tigers), and one day in Delhi. Seeing the resting place of some of Gamdhi's ashes in Pune was very moving.
- •YellowstoneA bit touristy, but if you hike you can get away from the crowds. Lots of wildlife and unreal landscape. A bit like vacationing on an open wound in the Earth. Very cool place.