Things You Shouldn't Say When You Meet a Playwright
- •"What kind of plays do you write?"If we're really playwrights, we write more than one kind of play.
- •"Have I seen any of your plays?"I don't know. Are you one of the 9.7% of Americans who go to the theatre? If so, possibly, but how the fuck would I know if you've seen one of my plays?
- •"How do you do that?"It's magic. ...Actually it has nothing to do with magic, it's just a lot of hard work.
- •"Oh my god, I have a story that you should make into a play. Or probably a movie, because that would make more money, right?"Yes, it would make more money if your story is actually entertaining, but evidence suggests that it's not.
- •"Wait, you're a what? People still do that? Isn't that like being a blacksmith?"Yes, but less lucrative.