Words My Parents Mispronounce
My father is descended from several signers of the Declaration of Independence and my mom is from Montreal, (but not when they were fascists about only speaking French). English is the only language they speak and they speak it very well except....
- •IbuprofeeenI'm unclear on whether they pronounce Advil correctly.
- •Show-BANEOr Chobani. Whichever.
- •NISS-inNissan. My father hasn't watched TV or listened to the radio since 1984. It shows.
- •TER-sullThe worst part is we OWNED a Toyota Tercel.
- •Home DEPP-ohPretty sure this is my dad's Pennsylvania hick accent peeking through.
- •Sew-tayMy parents both pronounce "sauté" this way. My mother's excuse is that's the French pronunciation. Still grates on my nerves like nobody's business.
- •DIE-ah-perAgain, I think this is my dad's Pennsylvania hick showing. Diaper.