5 Pin Bowling
I just wanna talk about this sport for a minute...
- •Firstly, youth bowling in Canada is slowly dying.The sport is not as popular as it used to be, and youth enrollment is on a slow decline.
- •Secondly, I know why it's dying.
- •Kids get discouraged quite easily nowadays.We live in a world where we want instant success and bowling does not give us that instant success.
- •It is the same as soccer or hockey as in it requires practice in order to be successful.
- •And it is as important as practicing for soccer and hockey.If you want to succeed, you need to put in the effort. Throwing balls, practicing corner pins and middle hits and consistently throwing a ball. Practicing your approach, your throw, your style.
- •And in order to succeed you need to put in the effort.Because success doesn't come overnight.
- •Youth Bowl Canada has Master Bowlers of Canada coaches, volunteer coaches and interested young people that take the time out of their schedules to help kids improve their bowling.I myself am a volunteer coach.
- •I coach the "Bowlasaurus" division, which are preschool-grade 1 aged kids. They bowl one game once a week.
- •And the most important thing I tell them is:
- •You will always get better with practice and a good attitude. A good bowler will have bad balls and bad frames, but as long as you keep your attitude up and keep trying, then you will improve.
- •However, there are too many coaches who discourage the kids just because they are bowling poorly that day.Fun fact: my sister (who has bowled a perfect game and held the highest average out of all the youth last year) was told that all her potential was gone one week.
- •They try really hard to make sure the kid is bowling good because they want to be part of their success. Which is fine, but they coach every ball and the kid ends up coming out frustrated because they never know what they're doing "right" or "wrong"And I've experienced this firsthand. Usually I get so angry and upset that I want to quit bowling because I can't (and am not allowed to) figure out what I'm doing wrong by myself.
- •And this is why kids are quitting the sport.They want the success immediately and when they try to work for it, they end up getting shut down immediately.
- •I feel like to fix this problem we need to build a strong network of coaches who all preach the same message of trying your best, having a good attitude and practice makes for improvement.
- •Because I love bowling. It's a great team sport and you get to meet lots of really great people.
- •And I wish it wasn't dying.